Monday, February 14, 2011

Riding


This couple of corners is one of my favorite places IN Portland to ride. Blasting up it on a moto is almost as much fun as passing cars on my bicycle is on the way down.

I don't always have time between rain storms to get out into the hills or the countryside around here so I often just go exploring around town. This stretch of road is very similar to the Blues Brother's highway, which runs under I-70 in Denver, that I would take every chance I got. It's only about 1/8 of a mile long but I always find myself going out of my way to get to it. At the bottom there is a halfway house for hookers trying to get out of the life and they often bunch up under the over pass and leer at all the workmen as they hustle past.


I really like the industrial parts of towns. They're all business and no one much cares what they look like. It's that old rule: form follows function. Just like anything race, these parts of town are stripped of anything that is not necessary for business, which could include your car or bike if you leave it sitting around.

They are also one of the few places in the city where you can go and be alone. No parks, no fashionable places for people to be seen, just dirty corners, sleeping bums and highway under bellies.

No comments:

Post a Comment